Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First imma say it....then imma do it!

Off today...yay!! So i dragged the Mister all over Robinson Town Center to look for new shoes.  Thrilling day off, I know.  We did make the trek out to Janoski's for a brunch first so that was wicked awesome.  For those who dont know do your selves a favor, set your GPS for Janoski's and take the drive (its near Clinton out past the airport) and go have an excellent meal at the family run restaurant on the left then take a wander across the street to the for real Farmers Market & Greenhouse. Promise - you'll LOVE it. And get the pancakes (best I have EVER had anywhere ever) or the Chicken Fried Steak (hand breaded and as big as your head, swear to jebus!).   Its really local, the prices are just ridiculous and its a for real we grow our own vegetables and get our eggs from the egg guy down the street and make this all from scratch complete awesomeness. Just go, ok?

So Ive decided Im going to give this Couch to 5K a try, hence the need for new shoes...and sports bras.  Im generally not a runner, Ill walk real fast for miles no prob, but I dont really run.  There are a couple reasons for this. 1) I have huge boobs. And Im not talking the Im not a size 2 huge boobs, im talking even if I were a size 2 these would still be gigantic huge boobs.  These are not conducive to running at all.  They actually seem to have concocted an evil plot to knock me off balance.  Seriously! They just dont make things like running easy.  Im not complaining though, in just about every other way I am totally cool with The Girls...Ive grown quite attached to them, actually. The other reason, 2) is that I fell a number of years ago and broke my leg in 2 places and severely dislocated my left ankle.  I wish I could say it was during some amazing feat of heroic-ness and I was rushing out of a burning building carrying 4 puppies, a small child and a goldfish to safety and out for ice cream...but I would totally be lying.  I was walking down a step - yes one, singular, only, solo, all by itself - step, rolled my ankle and fell down breaking my leg.  Yes - you are so totally correct in assuming that I am the most graceful and delicate of all flowers....just ask anyone who's known me for less than 3 minutes...please?  But the break had me have my first surgery and left me with 13 rivets, 1 titanium plate and 2 screws holding my left leg all together. This makes me nervous. I do NOT want to do that again...even though logically I know that the running will in the long term help it, on the day to day front I have a mild nagging fear in the back of my head (amazingly enough it sounds a lot like my mother screeching at me) about doing damage and hurting myself....I need to get over that.  I mean no, youre not gonna catch me going bungee jumping anytime soon, but I dont think some jogging is going to be what kills me. 

Oh well I guess theres 3 reasons really...Im also kinda lazy. Im not real into the whole fitness & dieting thing.  I have to like what im doing...if I dont I wont do it.  Call it a pleasure driven personality, but if I dont like it or enjoy doing it I just wont.  I like going to the gym, but I dont like it all that much, being outside, running with the dogs, that I could definitely like.  And the Couch to 5K thing is a really nice way to break into it slowly and at a pace that wont leave me hating it.  So Im going to give it a go.  Got my new kicks at a place called Elite Running something in Chiodo Plaza on Rt 60.......if you are in need of running gear go to this place.  They actually watched me walk to tell me what kind of shoe I could get and then told me why.  Really measured my foot to make sure I was getting the best size.  Went into the back and brought out 3 shoes for me to try on and his first choice was perfect.  Loved the experience, was able to tell him what I was planning to try (and he also said that it was a great way to break in, to take my time and give it a couple months and I would enjoy the jog, but it was hard), what I was worried about as far as my current shoes and get some intelligent feedback on what I was thinking about.  Truly awesome.  We had been to Dicks and they were clueless and I really dug that the people I was talking to were runners & seemed genuinely interested in making sure I had the right shoes.  If you run, visit them...I doubt you will be disappointed.  Costed about what I was anticipating it to as well so I dont believe I was gouged for the service.  So now I am all properly outfitted with sports bras, decent shoes & the Droid App for Couch to 5K...I just need to pick a first day. 

See....so now that Ive said it here....I kinda have to do it, right? Well that and if I made Mister go all over the place shopping with me and then I flail Im not ever going to hear the end of it and that, quite frankly, is just not tolerable.  Wish me Luck!!

4 comments:

  1. If you flake out on this I'm beating you with your own shoes, just know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I did that program in 2007 and it works really well! I couldn't run at all before it - like, not even 1/4 mile. The first few weeks are hard, but once you do the first longer stretches of straight running (like the 5 minute segments) you get a big boost of confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! do! if for nothing else so that you don't get a shoe beatin' from the mister!

    you guys should sign up for a 5k race around the time you're going to be doing a 5k on the program! they give you bananas at the end! well, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mister - I dont think youd have the testicular fortitude to REALLY beat me with my shoes...but I know that mouth well enough to know that I'd probably prefer it if you would. No flaking heard, boss.

    @chelsadilla & weeta yeah Im totally not a damn runner, but if its a progression I think I can get better at it. I like the gym, but would much rather be outside & the puppies can go! Going to run down on the panhandle trail in Walkers Mill...i like it down there lots!!

    ReplyDelete