Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Funday & the Perfect Brownie

I was off today. That's weird. I'm generally not ever off on Mondays. I used to be off every Monday, and that was pretty damn awesome...but I digress.  So this Monday started off with a 10am appointment with my attorney in the South Side to discuss a partnership agreement for me & the woman who would like to partner & partially finance my little cafe venture~I'm going to have to give her a nickname.  It was buncha questions and then a buncha answers and background info that ended in me knowing I'm having the first draft of that document in hand within a week. Then it gets signed, then I get a check and then I push this big ass ball down the cliff and hang on for dear life!! Woo Hoo!!

This is it. This is the beginning. This is the part that I quit TALKING about doing something and I actually do it. This is the best part. Ive never been a big on worrying on things. I have thought this out every which way I can and I see no option for anything but success so its just a matter of leaping.  So ive found the proverbial cliff...and off I am going to leap.  Once I have formed my LLC there is no changing of my mind, there is just mission accomplished. I am hoping that with the investment capitol I will have and my business plan I should be able to secure the rest of the money I need with relative quickness...and the rest of the money makes the rest details. I can handle details.

Me & the Mister are also on weird schedules for the next couple weeks. Hes closing one of the stores, Im opening them...short staffed and shift coverage necessary. This will suck balls. On the plus side we got to go to Primanti's in the Strip for lunch (delicious!), got some coffee from Prestogeorge & got some new spices at Penzeys...Vietnamese Cinnamon & Herbes de Provence~ HIGHLY recommend the Vietnamese Cinnamon.  Its spicier, you can smell the difference and the flavor is more hot for lack of a better word.  So it was a great Monday. And those are ridiculously rare. Most Mondays suck.

Im also testing recipes.  Most of them are for baked goods at the moment.  Ive been on a search for my Great White Whale - a good brownie recipe.  I like them a certain texture, in my opinion a good brownie is a very rare thing to find.  They shouldnt be cakey, they should be chewy; they shouldnt be gooey or raw, they should be dense & rich. I will rarely order a brownie from anywhere...they are almost always not good.  I also happen to think a good brownie should have walnuts...this is necessary! Mister will totally disagree - he is anti-nut in almost every baked good because, well...hes wrong. So ive tested at least 4 recipes, probably closer to 6. All of them had their redeeming qualities, all of them had their meh qualities...but none have been perfect. So I've studied the brownie. I know what I like to get the almost bitter richness of the chocolate, I know that butter is important to get the texture & deepness of flavor, I know what I do to the eggs makes a huge difference in the texture...its been a learning experience. My test batch last night was ooooh soooo close....but not perfect. And it was loaded with chocolate chips & walnuts, so I have to make a recipe without as well...more brownies!!!!

I think I know what needs to happen though to fix it. Im almost certain that with a couple tweaks I can get rid of the crumbly texture and make it chewier & denser.  So Ill try again...as soon as I find some poor souls to pawn these off on.  I dont think RK & the Mister are going to want to eat this entire pan or brownies...and Im going to need to use them as testers for the hopefully perfect batch that I make next.

Once the brownies are done Im going to have to test a couple other recipes...croissants, cinnamon raisin rolls,  muffins.....pierogies.

Anyone interested in signing up for care packages let me know ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment